Friday, July 13, 2012

Time Travel

Just wanted to share some of my earlier pictures with you guys! These were all taken with an hp PhotoSmart 43x series. Soon to be rightfully titled an antique, this sturdy piece of equipment accompanied me to many adventures of my more innocent age. As I go full speed forward, I do get a little nostalgic at times. I believe the past is the one treasure which no one can take away - the most valuable treasure. It's your life.And life is the only thing we really have, everything else is just a part of this one whole. I feel like remembering the past helps one define their vector for the future, as cliche as learning from history is, in the past people find who they really are. Yet, this blog isn't for banal rhetoric. Check out my photos from Greece in 2005!
 Being the first digital camera I had (I managed to be senescent enough to own a film camera when there were no digital ones), it only had maybe 5MP - at most. But it did add its own certain charm to the photos which only became apparent once I compared these to the photos taken with modern cameras. This is a picture out of a plane window as we are flying over Greece!
 A part of a wide bay. I am walking on the stairs engraved into the mountain, so I get a view from pretty high up.
 A picture taken from the bus. A bit blurry, I'm aware. But I was surprised at seeing so many hills everywhere.
 A fort atop of the mountain, took a lot of climbing to get here. This thing is very old!
 The beach. Perhaps the first experience I had at "jumping waves" (breaking through tall waves, instead of being washed up onto the sand like what happened to me when I was even smaller). At this point I was 13.
 The last day, visiting a city. While at Greece, I have only been to Crete - heard there isn't much of ancient glory remaining in either Athens, or Sparta or other historic places. But on Crete I managed to travel a lot! Visited the famous Knossos Palace and labyrinth (home of the Minotaur) - yes, the labyrinth is real. Hiked, traveled, took pictures - all was great.
 Another view of the bay. It was beautiful. I don't want to lie, but I think there was some prohibition about swimming in deeper into this bay. Sharks or jellyfish or something...
 A view from the trail at the Samaria Gorge. To date, the longest distance I walked - a hike of 16km, ending with a wonderful dive into the cool Libyan Sea.
Another view from the Samaria Gorge. I was overexcited about this photograph, and for a long time considered this the best photograph I took to day (I wasn't much into photography at that time).

All in all, my hp PhotoSmart 43x series helped me preserve my memories. It may have been only 5MP, but these clues remind me of how great my entire trip was. A lot of things happened since then, good ones and bad ones. Most of my current friends were made between this period and today. I guess sometimes, it's not about the quality of the photographs - it's about the story they tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment