Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Japan


This is the most serious post I wrote to this day.

I do not know how many of you are informed about what happened in Japan in the past few days. I will assume that most of you know what is happening and provide just a small reiteration, but for those who have not been keeping up with the news - search it on Google, because it is important to know what happens in the world. Despite national borders, we are all - humans.

The past few years have been heavy on disasters. Among the most recent ones are natural disasters in Haiti and Indonesia. The bloody revolution in Libya where bombs have been thrown on the citizens by Gadhafi - something that differentiates this revolution from the other recent ones. There are many more I can mention. Right now, I want to talk about Japan.

An 8.9 earthquake, the largest one in Japan and the fifth largest and recorded history, shook the island. It gave rise to a wave which was 30 feet tall and washed up much of the island. At the same time, a nuclear power plant was harmed so there is the threat of a nuclear disaster affecting the poor people who are already left without housing, without food and water, some without sons or daughters and other closest relatives.

I saw a page online which accumulated the recent posts made by some Americans. It does not show the badness of US or anything but it does show the stupidity of individuals when they say things like: Pearl Harbour Karma, that is what you get after 70 years and etc. Not only did they forget Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they also forgot the fundamental principals of humanity. The borders are artificial, they change all the time - what stays is our connection to each other. I do not want to sound like a hippie but I do believe that we are all connected through common roots, nature, spirituality - basically through being sentient humans.

I believe we must help. I know that the number of readers on my blog is currently low, the blog is new. But I want to do what I can. I am providing a number of links that one can follow to help the Japanese. The Japanese themselves have been amazing, the level of cooperation and the human bravery in terms of crisis is astounding. They help each other but they need help from others too. In the end, it does not come down to living in US or Canada, to living in Japan or Russia, it comes down to living on Earth which we share with others like us. We are not safe from disasters anywhere, and I believe that if something would happen to where I live then the world would help. A big part of the world would help. That is just what differentiates us from animals. Please donate or write about it somewhere where others can see. Spread awareness.

Help The Children - America's 7th most effective foundation, does not waste money on bureaucratic expenses above what's necessary. Donate on the top right corner for your money to go to those who need them more.

A link to UNICEF Canada because that is where I live, all links to UNICEF can be used though. A trustworthy and famous organization which will help those who need help - it just needs you.

Mercy Corps - uses helicopters to deliver food and medical supplies to families in the disaster struck zones. The money donated to not get lost in the hands of governments and organizations. They deliver food supplies to children, which would otherwise die without having even fully lived.

A Google crisis response center. Google is new in terms of being a foundation but I think it deserves a chance. So far they have proven to be innovative and efficient - perhaps that wil have an effect.

Other links:

Yahoo Post on how to help

A post on how to help.

To stay on top of what is happening, this website provides videos, images, and coverage.

------------------------

UPDATE [Mar. 27; 2011]: I have been asked: what am I personally doing to help? It is indeed hypocritical of me to ask others to contribute if I myself do not do anything. While money are tight in the life of a student on residence, I have just recently purchased a t-shirt with $20. The t-shirt spreads awareness while the $20 go for the relief. It is not a lot - sure, but if everyone will help as much as they can then we can all make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment